April 24, 2017
This week at a glance:
SBAC Testing (Grades 4&5 only)
Field Day Planning Meeting
Wednesday, April 26, 7:45am
Author Visit: Peter Brown
Friday, April 28
Friday, April 28
Wear blue and white or KHS logowear to show your school spirit!
THANK YOU: Tracy Benton and Alyssa Cohen for putting together an amazing Parent Social and Stacey Henske for making sure our playground received new basketball nets!
- WESTPORT SCHOOLS STRATEGIC PLANNING SURVEY
- FIELD DAY PLANNING MEETING & FIELD DAY SHIFT SIGN-UP (Volunteer Opportunity)
- KHS WELCOMES GUEST AUTHOR PETER BROWN
- STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK IS COMING AND WE NEED YOUR HELP (Donation Opportunity)
- DID SOMEONE SAY AUCTION? (Yes! Read on.)
- SPECIAL ED NEWS
- KHS PTA POSITIONS AVAILABLE FOR 2017-18
- BOOKS AS GIFTS (Donation Opportunity)
(1) Westport Schools Strategic Planning - Participate in the SURVEY! The strategic planning committee is asking for community feedback. Please complete the survey (link located in this press release)
(2) It’s Almost Time for Field Day!!
Join the Field Day Committee Planning Meeting Field Day is Friday, May 26 and one of the favorite days of the school year. We would LOVE your help as a committee member/volunteer. Come to the meeting this Wednesday, April 26 at 7:45 am in the cafeteria to learn how you can help. Mr.V will share details of the day and we will discuss the many ways you can help, whether big or small, prior to the event or the day of. Everyone can make a difference and all help is appreciated. We like to have fun and hope you will join us. Kids are welcome too!!
Sign up for a Field Day Shift! We all need a fun day in the sun, so please plan on joining us! The day will be scheduled as follows:
9:00am - 10:15am - Kindergarten & 1st Graders on field participating in games
10:20am - 10:35am - School wide ceremony in playground area
10:40am - 12:20pm - Second through Fifth Graders on field participating in games
* Kindergarten & 1st eat lunch at 11:30
* Grades 2 - 5 eat lunch at 12:20
1:15pm - 2:10pm - 2nd - 5th Graders resume games on field
2:10pm - 2:25pm - All grades on field for Popsicle Treat and Teacher Relay
In addition to fans and spectators, we need VOLUNTEERS to work shifts at the games throughout the day. Please plan your day so that you can cheer on your class AND work a shift (or two). This is a great way to see your kids in action with their classmates on one of the most fun days of the year! We have over 100 shifts to be filled .... Please sign up for KHS Field Day 2017! Click this link to volunteer!
(3) KHS welcomes guest author, Peter Brown.
Peter Brown is an author and illustrator of children’s books. His titles include New York bestsellers like The Curious Garden, Children Make Terrible Pets, and Mr. Tiger Goes Wild. Peter’s illustrations forCreepy Carrots!, written by Aaron Reynolds, earned him a Caldecott Honor. Mr. Brown will visit KHS on April 28th, 2017.
(4) KHS Teacher/ Staff Appreciation Week May 1-5 is Teacher Appreciation Week! We all agree that KHS has the most amazing teachers and staff. Let’s show them how much we appreciate them by making KHS Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week the best it can be. We need YOUR help to donate lunch items and baked goods for the luncheon on Monday, May 1. Please sign up here. We also need desserts on Thursday, May 4. Sign up here.
(5) Auction Committee MeetingThe PTA will be raising funds for a new playground at KHS! We will be hosting an auction next year to reach this goal and we need your help. Come join the Playground Auction Committee co-chairs, Katie Hill and Patra Kanchanagom at the Drive-Thru Starbucks on May 2 at 9:30am to begin planning this event. We will be discussing possible dates, venues and themes. We are excited to hear all of your ideas! Please let us know if you'll be coming by sending an email toKHSPlay2018@gmail.com.
(6) Special Education News
SIP 'N CHAT: Meet, exchange ideas and ask questions with other Special Ed parents. Open to all parents of students receiving Special Education services in Westport schools. Thursday, May 11th, 9:30-10:30am Panera Bread (1860 Post Rd East, next to Home Goods).
LOCAL SUMMER PROGRAMS: The special education PTA has put together a list of local summer programs.
SPRING NEWSLETTER - Click here to view the newsletter
If you would like to be added to our email list please email Sharuna Mahesh email@example.com and for any questions email SpEd Rep Rosie Curtis firstname.lastname@example.org
(7) KHS PTA Positions Available for Next Year:
Don’t miss your chance to make a difference at KHS! There are only a couple PTA positions still open for next year. To check what is available, please email email@example.com.
The remaining positions include:
ArtSmart Co-Chair: A committee of two (2) co-chairs and two (2) committee members work together to spearhead the ArtSmart Program at KHS. The committee recruits ArtSmart volunteers for each classroom and keep the volunteers up to date via email throughout the year. They lead two meetings for all KHS ArtSmart volunteers: a kickoff meeting in the fall and a Museum Night planning meeting in early spring. Manage the ArtSmart supply closet. Organize Museum Night, typically held in early May. This includes coordinating the layout of the projects and ensuring that each classroom team's display is organized. In addition, the committee may choose to develop a special theme and project / entertainment idea to further enhance the event. The Co-chairs attend district wide meetings with PTA Council Reps and an ArtSmart training session in the fall.
Cultural Arts Representative: Two representatives from each school serve for two (2) year term. Organize two all school morning assembly programs. In advance of both morning shows coordinate with your school’s Principal and Administration and make sure that the stage requirements and logistics are in place. Attend both CA Performances at your school and make sure the show runs smoothly. On performance days please expect to arrive ½ hour before to help set up & greet performers. Either provide the designated school administrator with bio info on the group so that she can introduce them or do the introduction yourself. Thank everyone and help close the auditorium. Participate at monthly PTAC Cultural Arts meetings, held from 9:30 -11am on the first Wed of each month during the school year to discuss budget and programs. Generate ideas for future CA shows by research through the Internet or through attending Preview Showcases. Be an ambassador for CA, building parent awareness and contributions. As a member of the CA Committee help, as needed, to draft eblast texts. Work with your school’s PTA Co Presidents to keep them informed.
(8) Books as Gifts: Celebrate a birthday or any special occasion by donating a book to the library in your child's honor. Books as Gifts (BAG) is a program that helps put new books on the Library Media Center shelves; providing students, teachers and staff with access to the most up-to-date literature. Plus, it's a wonderful way to commemorate a special day! Click here to get started. Questions? Contact Victoria Lieber, 917-216-6167, firstname.lastname@example.org
KHS 5th graders Hannah and Eleanor would like to thank you for helping cleaning up Compo Beach with them on April 2nd. ‘With the help of KHS, we picked up two extra large garbage bags full of mostly plastic! We had so many more people than we expected to come, and the sunny afternoon was very successful. We had students from all grades, enthusiastic parents, and also some teachers. Thank you for helping us start off an excellent month with the clean up, and continue to help clean up the Earth this Saturday for Earth Day and every day!’
A LOOK AHEAD:
5/1-5/5 Teacher/ Staff Appreciation Week
5/2 - 5/5 SBAC Testing - Grade 3 only
5/11 Special Ed Sip and Chat, Panera Bread, 9:30-10:30am
5/18 Final General PTA Meeting, 9:30am, KHS Cafeteria
5/19 ArtSmart Museum Night, KHS, 6-8pm
5/26 Rise & Read, 7:45-8:20am, KHS Library
5/26 Field Day, KHS (rain date June 1)
5/31 4th Grade Orchestra and Chorus concert, 7pm, KHS Auditorium
6/1 Rain date for Field Day
6/6 5th Grade Band and Orchestra concert, 7pm, KHS Auditorium
6/7 Spring Beach Bash, Compo Beach, Time TBD
6/8 Beach Bash Rain Date
6/14 Variety Show Rehearsal, BMS, time TBD
6/16 Variety Show, BMS, time TBD
6/16 5th Grade Fun Day, KHS, 5th grade only, time TBD
6/19 5th Grade Fun Day, rain date
6/21 5th Grade Moving Up Ceremony
6/22 Last day of classes.
Please Visit your Westport PTA Council Sites featuring
All submissions for Cheetah Chat must be received by Friday at 5:00pm. If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at the email address below.
Karen Speller & Jill Dillon
KHS PTA Co-Presidents