March 27, 2017
*As of today, our last day of school at KHS is Thursday, June 22. Should we have additional snow days, this date will change.*
This week at a glance:
Monday, March 27, 7:30pm
Staples HS Cafeteria
PYD Presentation on Growth Mindset
Wednesday, March 29, 9:30-10:30am
General PTA Meeting
Thursday, March 30, 9:30am
KHS Spirit Day
Friday, March 31
Wear your blue & white or KHS Logowear
Coleytown Middle School presents Cinderella
March 30, 31 and April 1 at 7pm, April 1 at 1pm
Tickets available online at: showtix4u.com (search term "Coleytown"). Tickets may be purchased at the door subject to availability.
Compo Beach Cleanup
Sunday, April 2, 1-3pm (rain date April 30)
Compo Beach (see write-up below for more info)
THANK YOU: Anne Kennedy & Rebecca Tegnelia for chairing Movie Night on Friday and their wonderful team of volunteers who made sure the night ran smoothly: Sheela Hari, Sandra Cordts, Cameron Snyder, Elizabeth Williams, Mike Tegnelia, Frank Kennedy & Sara Snow. Huge efforts from the KHS Staff made movie night possible. Thank you to Lou Di Bella, Tracey Carbone and John Brakeman for attending on the night and ensuring it ran smoothly! Also, a big thanks to Nate Brown for running the movie in advance to ensure no glitches! In addition, thanks to Joyce Horne and Karen Pocius plus Bill Broadhurst and his custodial team for all their assistance.
The MAKER DAYS were a huge success thanks to chairpersons Marsden Kline and Melissa Sassoon in addition to volunteers Maryanne Martire, Patra Kanchanagom, Meryl Barkoff, Sherief Meleis, Samira Lowman and special thanks to Luc LaFontan.
- URGENT: NEXT YEAR’S EDUCATION BUDGET - UPDATE
- GENERAL PTA MEETING THIS THURSDAY, MARCH 30
- POSITIVE YOUTH DEVELOPMENT MEETING THIS WEDNESDAY
- COLEYTOWN MIDDLE SCHOOL PRESENTS CINDERELLA
- PTA POSITIONS AVAILABLE FOR 2017-18
- COMPO BEACH CLEANUP
- SPECIAL ED NEWS
- ARTSMART PLANNING MEETING
- KHS PARENT SOCIAL
- ORDER YOUR KHS YEARBOOK NOW (PRICE INCREASES AFTER THIS FRIDAY)
- BOOKS AS GIFTS (Donation Opportunity)
(1) URGENT Education Budget Cuts Update The Board of Finance is requiring the Board of Education to cut its schools budget next year by nearly $1.7MM dollars. This is the largest cut in recent memory. To satisfy this requirement, Dr. Palmer has had to propose a list of cuts that directly impact our schools. These are the proposed cuts that impact Kings Highway directly:
- Eliminate third grade paraprofessionals.
- Eliminate library paraprofessionals.
- Eliminate individual music lessons in grades 4 – 8.
- Eliminate bus monitors.
- Eliminate $2000 of library book purchases at Kings Highway.
- Reduce Workshop Program.
- Defer yearly technology purchases.
- Eliminate purchase of new art stools for Kings Highway.
*Please be sure to review the full list of potential cuts as there are shocking reductions proposed in our middle and high school as well.*
The Board of Finance cannot approve or disapprove of specific items in the Education Budget, but they DO dictate how much money we receive from the town. These are NOT cuts that the Board of Education or Dr. Palmer want to make; these are the items Dr. Palmer has identified as possible cuts should the Board of Finance the Board of Education to cut over $1.6MM from its budget. As your PTA Presidents, we feel these are cuts that will change our children’s school experience. If you agree, PLEASE email the Board of Finance and express your concerns. YOUR VOICE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN THE DOLLAR AMOUNT THE BOARD OF FINANCE CUTS FROM THE EDUCATION BUDGET. And, if you can, please SHOW UP at the Board of Finance meeting and express your concerns in person on April 5 at 7:30pm in the Town Hall Auditorium. This is the last chance to change their minds before the budget goes to the RTM for approval. If you have questions, please contact us or...
(2) Come to the KHS PTA Meeting this Week! Join us on Thursday, March 30 at 9:30am for our general PTA meeting. We will hear from Principal Lou DiBella on the current state of the BOE Budget. We will also have a presentation by Stephanie Noto, RD, CDN, (Nutritionist) for our school lunch provider, Chartwells. She will tell us how the school meals are designed to meet the nutritional needs of growing children, give us tips on how to get our children to make smart food choices and much more. Join us in the cafeteria. Coffee will be provided and young children are welcome.
(3) Positive Youth Development Presentation, March 29, 9:30 to 10:30am in the KHS Cafeteria.
Have you ever heard the words “Growth Mindset,” mentioned by your child’s teacher or school and wondered what it meant? Come find out what a growth mindset is and how to foster it in your child ……..Students who embrace a growth rather than a fixed mindset may learn more, learn more quickly, and view challenges and failures as opportunities for improvement.
(4) Coleytown Company presents "Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella”
Come support KHS alumni that are part of the cast & crew of Cinderella. Tickets on Sale now--be a part of the excitement of Opening Night on Thursday!
Thursday, March 30th at 7:00 pm, Friday, March 31st at 7:00 pm, and Saturday April 1st at 1:00 pm and 7:00 pm. Tickets available online at: showtix4u.com (search term "Coleytown"). Tickets are $13.00 plus processing fee. In addition, $15.00 tickets may be purchased at the door up to 45 minutes prior to curtain, subject to availability. For further information, please contact: Sarah Keiser at (203) 341-1666.
(5) KHS PTA Positions Available for next year:
Don’t miss your chance to make a difference at KHS! There are only a few PTA positions still open for next year. To check what is available, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
A few of the remaining positions include:
Author Visits (2 volunteers): Work in conjunction with the head of the Library Media date, promoting the event, coordinating book sales and autographs, tracking invoices, hosting the author for the day, and assisting the LMC staff as required to promote the event.
Field Day (Co-Chair): This fun-filled day, designed to promote school spirit for both students and teachers, is typically held in early June. The co-chairs plan and execute Field Day working closely with the PE Staff and the Principal. Co-chairs also recruit and coordinate a large number of parent volunteers (over 100) to assist with the days' festivities including setup/takedown and food (snack, lunch, ice cream and water).
Room Parent Coordinator (K-3): Select and oversee Room Parents for each KHS classroom. The Coordinator conducts a meeting for all Room Parents to discuss responsibilities and expectations for the year. Coordinator communicates with parents on policies, responsibilities, and any joint school efforts such as Teacher Appreciation Week.
(6) Make the Beach a Better PlaceOn April 2nd from 1pm - 3pm (rain date April 30th from 1pm-3pm), the first Sunday of April, we would LOVE it if you could come to Compo Beach to help clean up! We believe that the beach needs a real clean up crew to help stop pollution and help the environment and KHS can help. Just bring yourself (no money needed) and enjoy this fun and exciting event! Meet at the play structure and look for the table manned by Hannah or Eleanor. Rubber gloves and paper bags will be provided at this event. If you have any more questions please contact Eleanor or Hannah via our teacher: email@example.com
(7) Special Ed News:
NEXT SIP 'N CHAT: Meet, exchange ideas and ask questions with other Special Ed parents. Open to all parents of students receiving Special Education services in Westport schools. Wednesday, April 5th, 9:30-10:30am Panera Bread (1860 Post Rd East, next to Home Goods).
SAVE THE DATE
District-wide Spring Coffee on Executive Functioning, Westport Arts Center, April 20th. More info to come.
If you have any questions then please contact Special Ed rep Rosie Curtis firstname.lastname@example.org
(8) ArtSmart Planning Meeting The ArtSmart committee is excited to begin planning for Museum Night. All ArtSmart volunteers are encouraged to attend the Museum Night planning meeting on April 19th, 9:30am in the KHS Cafeteria. Please have at least one volunteer from each class attend, and prepared (if possible) to let us know project display needs (wall space, table, hanging space, large or small bulletin board). We will go over important dates and overview of Museum Night, which is on May 19 from 6-8pm.
(9) KHS Parent Social:
Book your sitter now! KHS Parent Social is on Wednesday, April 19th at The Boathouse at Saugatuck Rowing Club, 521 Riverside Avenue, Westport from 7:30-9:30pm. Price is $32 per person in advance; $35 at the door. Ticket price includes beer, wine and hors d'oeuvres. We hope you'll join us for a fun night out! Purchase tickets online using Eventbrite OR send in a check made out to KHS PTA (write Parent Social in memo section) by Friday, April 14th.
Nobody will be denied access due to inability to pay. Please contact the Principal for financial assistance.
Questions? Contact Alyssa Cohen or Tracy Benton.
(10) It’s time to order your KHS yearbook!
Ordering is super easy! Go to coffeepond.com, click "Order Yearbooks" and enter "khsyearbook" as the password.
The yearbooks are great keepsakes for the kids and they will love seeing all of the pictures that have been taken throughout the year. Order now and the price is $30. Price goes up to $35 after 3/31. (For confidential financial assistance in purchasing a yearbook, please contact Principal DiBella’s office at 341-1800.)
(11) Books as Gifts: Celebrate a birthday or any special occasion by donating a book to the library in your child's honor. Books as Gifts (BAG) is a program that helps put new books on the Library Media Center shelves; providing students, teachers and staff with access to the most up-to-date literature. Plus, it's a wonderful way to commemorate a special day! Click here to get started. Questions? Contact Victoria Lieber, 917-216-6167, email@example.com
A LOOK AHEAD:
4/5 Special Ed Sip N Chat, 9:30-10:30am, Panera Bread
4/5 Board of Finance Meeting: Education Budget Cuts, Town Hall Auditorium, 7:30pm
4/6 CMT Science Testing - Grade 5 only
4/10 - 4/14 Spring Recess - NO SCHOOL
4/19 ArtSmart Planning Meeting, 9:30am, KHS Cafeteria
4/19 KHS Parent Social, 7:30-9:30pm, Boathouse at Saugatuck Rowing Club
4/20 Special Ed Spring Coffee on Executive Functioning, Westport Art Center, Time TBD
4/21 Rise & Read, 7:45-8:20am, KHS Library
4/25-4/28 SBAC Testing - Grades 4 & 5 only
4/26 Field Day Committee Planning Meeting, 7:45am, KHS Cafeteria
5/2 - 5/5 SBAC Testing - Grade 3 only
5/19 ArtSmart Museum Night, KHS, 6-8pm
5/26 Rise & Read, 7:45-8:20am, KHS Library
5/26 Field Day, KHS (rain date June 1)
5/31 4th Grade Orchestra and Chorus concert, 7pm, KHS Auditorium
6/1 Rain date for Field Day
6/6 5th Grade Band and Orchestra concert, 7pm, KHS Auditorium
6/7 Spring Beach Bash, Compo Beach, Time TBD
6/8 Beach Bash Rain Date
6/14 Variety Show Rehearsal, BMS, time TBD
6/16 Variety Show, BMS, time TBD
6/22 As of today, March 27, the last day of classes.
Other Community News…
Bedford Acting Group Presents “The Witches”
Dare to spot "The Witches" in Bedford Acting Group’s upcoming 6th grade production, March 31st-April 2nd.
The Witches is a spine-tingling tale of a boy and his grandmother who use their wits to defeat the Grand High Witch’s plan to squelch all the children of England by turning them into mice. This Ronald Dahl story is both stupendously scary and gleefully gitty and will appeal to young kids, adolescents and adults alike.
Mark your calendars!
Friday, March 31, 7:00pm
Saturday, April 1, 2:00pm
Saturday, April 1, 7:00pm
Sunday, April 2, 2:00pm
Tickets will go on sale at: www.bedfordactinggroup.com and cost $10 for children and $12 for adults. Children 2 and under are free. Tickets will also be available at the door on a first-come first-served basis. For additional questions about purchasing on-line tickets, please contact Karen McCormick at firstname.lastname@example.org
Each performance lasts approximately two hours.
MEET THE CAST - Children with their parents are welcome to join the cast on stage after the matinee on April 1 & 2. Meet the cast and get an up close look at the set & special effects equipment. Bedford Middle School is located at 88 North Avenue, in Westport, Connecticut.
Please Visit your Westport PTA Council Sites featuring
All submissions for Cheetah Chat must be received by Friday at 5:00pm. If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at the email address below.
Karen Speller & Jill Dillon
KHS PTA Co-Presidents