May 22, 2017
This week at a glance:
Variety Show Rehearsal
Monday, May 22
Click here for more info about rehearsal and act order
Mini K Day for rising kindergartners
Tuesday, May 23
9am or 1pm
KHS Library Media Center
Mini K Day for rising kindergartners
Wednesday, May 24
9am or 1pm
KHS Library Media Center
Purchase 2017-2018 School Supplies via SchoolKidz (optional to purchase this way)
Online by June 9
See instructions below
Now thru June 1
KHS - Collection boxes at front and back entrances
Thursday, May 25
Friday, May 26
Monday, May 29
THANK YOU: To Robin Hellman, Tabitha Nguyen, Colleen Coffey, Trish Tomoda, Jenny McGuinness, Lauren Kalb and the rest of the ArtSmart classroom volunteers, leaders and helpers that made Museum Night a success!
- FIELD DAY SIGN UP and NEWS FROM MR. V (Volunteer Opportunity)
- TAILGATE TAG SALE AT KHS!
- ATTENTION ALL 5TH GRADE PARENTS!
- SCHOOL SUPPLY ORDERING
- FOOD DRIVE
- SPECIAL ED NEWS
- BOOKS AS GIFTS (Donation Opportunity)
(1) 🏅⚽️🏀🏈⚾️🎾🏅 FIELD DAY is THIS FRIDAY! 🏅⚽️🏀🏈⚾️🎾🏅
We still need VOLUNTEERS to help make this an awesome day for our kids. Please consider giving an hour of your time to one of the following:
- 🐦 If you are an EARLY BIRD, we could use your help from 6-7am on Friday. You will be home to feed your kids breakfast and kiss them goodbye at the bus stop.
- 🎨 Love FACE PAINTING? 🎨 More slots just opened up. You don’t have to be a good artist, there are pictures to guide you!
- PARENTS of GRADES 2-5: we need more volunteers from 11-12 and 1-2.
- If you’re a big POPSICLE fan, we could use your help at 1:30 to help prepare and pass out the treats! 👅
- 🍪 Do you LOVE to BAKE? We need bakers to bring in a dozen of your favorite dessert for the teachers’ lunch. Please sign up and drop off goodies Friday by 9:30 am in the cafeteria.
- We will start setting up on Thursday at 2:30 in the gym. If anyone can come by and help for 45 minutes before school pick-up, we would greatly appreciate your help!
Sign up HERE.
It is going to be a great Field Day and we look forward to seeing all of you there!
☀️ Thanks for making this a special day for our children! ☀️
Field Day News from Mr. V!
Field Day News
(Rain date: June 1st)
Event Start Times:
Grades K & 1: 9:00 am – 10:12 am. Meet on KHS field and field inside track. Grades 2-5: 10:40 am – 12:19 pm, 1:15-2:09 pm. Meet on KHS field, field inside track, and tennis courts.
- Field Day Ceremony: 10:20 am – 10:35 am. Meet base of the hill/recess area.
- Lunch Times: Grades K & 1: 11:30 am. In classroom.
Grades 2-5: 12:19 pm – 12:45 pm. Students eat in their classrooms (** please be considerate of nut allergies**).
- Break/Cool-down time: Grades 2-5: 12:45 pm – 1:15 pm. In classroom.
- 2:10 pm – Grades 1-5 gather on field for final event. Ice pops to follow.
- 2:25 pm – Students return to building and prepare for dismissal.
- T-shirts (colored Field Day Ts!) and sneakers must be worn. Hats are permitted. Sunscreen is strongly recommended. You may also want to send an extra set of clothes in with your child, as there will be water stations and they may get wet.
- If you are coming to watch your child and are not volunteering, please consider bringing a package of small bottled waters to be used that day for drinking water. You can leave them at the volunteer tent.
- Volunteers: When you arrive, look for check-in table in the center of the field to receive directions to your assignment. Please arrive early and be ready to work at assigned times. This will help insure field day is a success!
- There will be extremely limited parking at KHS on Field Day. Please try to carpool or park legally on neighboring streets.
- Please remember to check with the teacher responsible for the class if you take your child anywhere. Don’t forget to sign your child out in the office if you leave for the day! This is IMPERATIVE!
- Please alert our school nurse, Ms. Zimmerman, of any medical issues that exist.
- We are having lunch in the classroom. If you are in a nut free classroom, please do not pack any nut products in your child’s lunch.
- Any questions, please call the physical education office at 341-1855.
THANKS FOR YOUR COOPERATION AND HAVE A GREAT FIELD DAY!
(2) Tailgate Tag Sale at KHS Are you ready for some spring cleaning and money making? If you have stuff to sell, sign up to sell it in the KHS parking lot on Saturday, June 10 from 9am to noon (set-up at 8am) at the KHS Tailgate Tag Sale! For a tax-deductible $50 donation to the PTA, we will reserve a parking space for you. Park your car, pop the trunk and sell your wares. You can also bring a card table to set up in front of your car to showcase more items.
Profits are yours to keep!
Reserve your space (or spaces!) now on the PTA website at the bottom of our events and fundraising page (click here and make sure you scroll all the way to the bottom). There are a limited number of spaces, so reserve now! Rain date will be June 11--same time, same place.Questions? Email us at email@example.com.
(3) 5th Grade Parents: Please RVSP/send payment for the graduation ceremony, luncheon and Fun Day ASAP. Please pay by check with the form that was sent home in your child's backpack or online here.
(4) School Supply Ordering for Next School Year The Westport School District participates in School Kidz, the Teacher Tailored back-to-school supply kit program. Online ordering for next year is now open through June 9.
This program is entirely optional, however it will save you time this summer, making “back-to-school time” less hectic, and SchoolKidz has worked with us to offer very competitive pricing on each kit. Each kit costs $30. Kits will be delivered directly to your child’s classroom in a reusable storage box, and will be ready for use on the first day of school! If you have any questions, please contact Joyce Horne, 203-341-1801
Ordering through School Kidz is only available online. Paper order forms are NOT available.
To order your child[REN]’s 2017-2018 school supply kit online, please follow these simple steps:
- Go to www.shopttkits.com
- Enter the account number: 83433
- Choose the appropriate grade level kit - REMEMBER TO CHOOSE THE GRADE YOUR CHILD WILL BE ENTERING IN THE FALL!
- Enter your child’s first and last name.
- Add to cart; confirm your order, checkout and pay with your credit card.
IMPORTANT NOTE: YOU DO NOT NEED TO SIGN IN OR CREATE AN ACCOUNT WHEN CHECKING OUT. YOU MAY CHECKOUT WITHOUT AN ACCOUNT BY ENTERING YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS ONLY. You will receive an email confirmation after your order has been successfully submitted - please retain as your receipt.
Please note that no family will be denied school supplies due to the inability to pay. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org for CONFIDENTIAL financial assistance.
(5) KHS PTA has extended their Food Drive to benefit Mercy Learning Center in Bridgeport. The Mercy Learning Center provides basic literacy and life skills training to low-income women using a holistic approach within a compassionate, supportive environment. This annual drive helps provide assistance for families in need. The drive has been extended through June 1st. We are asking for non perishable items to be donated to the collection boxes at the front and back door for these items. To learn more about MLC or how you can help click here. Thank you in advance for your support!
(6) Special Education News
LOCAL SUMMER PROGRAMS: The special education PTA has put together a list of local summer programs.
SPRING NEWSLETTER - Click here to view the newsletter
(7) Books as Gifts: Celebrate a birthday or any special occasion by donating a book to the library in your child's honor. Books as Gifts (BAG) is a program that helps put new books on the Library Media Center shelves; providing students, teachers and staff with access to the most up-to-date literature. Plus, it's a wonderful way to commemorate a special day! Click here to get started. Questions? Contact Victoria Lieber, 917-216-6167, email@example.com
A LOOK AHEAD:
5/31 4th Grade Orchestra and Chorus concert, 7pm, KHS Auditorium
6/1 Rain date for Field Day
*6/2 Rise & Read, 7:45-8:20am, KHS Library (*Note this date was changed from May 26)
6/6 5th Grade Band and Orchestra concert, 7pm, KHS Auditorium
6/16 5th Grade Fun Day, KHS, 5th grade only, time TBD
6/19 5th Grade Fun Day, rain date
6/21 5th Grade Moving Up Ceremony
6/22 Last day of classes.
Happening Around Town
Staples Players presents Peter and the Starcatcher. Performances are May 25, 26 & 27 at 7:30 PM and May 27 & 28 at 3:00 PM. All performances are in the Staples High School Black Box Theatre, 70 North Avenue, Westport. Tickets are available online at staplesplayers.com. Tickets will also be sold at the door 30 minutes before showtime, subject to availability. Due to limited seating in the Black Box, advance online purchases are encouraged. For accessible seating, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seeking Student Artwork Submissions for the 2017-2018 School Calendar Any Westport student in grades K-12 may submit artwork for consideration to be included in the 2017-2018 Westport Schools Calendar by June 2. Winners receive a free calendar! Click here for more information.
Do You Love ANIMALS and KINDNESS? If so, you are cordially invited to join us, a special guest "The Dogist", and so many others with a common bond at the 3rd Annual Catherine’s Butterfly Party - June 3. FREE family-focused festival and pet adoption event featuring fun activities for adults and kids alike including face painting, games, crafts, vendors, food trucks and live music. Click here for more information.
Girl Scout and Boy Scout Sign up Night - June 8:
When: Thursday, June 8
Where: Christ & Holy Trinity
Time: 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Girl Scout presentation @ 7:00 pm
Cub Scout presentation @ 7:30 pm
Boy Scout presentation @ 8:00 pm
Come learn what Girl Scouts (GS) and Boy Scouts (BS) is all about and sign up your child at this event. This is the first year we'll have representatives from both organization on the same evening to talk to you about the structure of their programs that run from grades K - 12. Parents only, no children please. Spread the word to all your friends.
Please note that the GS year begins Oct 1, and so you'll be placing your child's name on a waitlist until a troop is formed. Troops cannot run without leaders, so please consider volunteering for a leadership role.
Questions regarding Girl Scouts: Contact Tina Meehan at email@example.com
Questions regarding Boy Scouts: contact Irene Syomichev at firstname.lastname@example.org
Support WSPAC: Friends of Westport Public Art Collections, a 501(c)(3) presents "Second Story Moonlight" - A charitable evening of food, drink, art exhibition, and silent art auction at Rive Bistro on June 8 from 7pm-10pm. Proceeds benefit the Westport Public Art Collections, including the Westport Schools Permanent Art Collection. To buy tickets, click here: www.westportarts.org/moonlight
Volunteer with Westport Public Art Collections! Your children’s school hallways are filled with art by notable American artists, giants of the international art world and important artists who established their homes and studios in the Westport-Weston community. WestPAC volunteers help choose and maintain art, work with ArtSmart volunteers to bring art alive in the classrooms, and support teachers/curriculum with art from the collection upon request. Positions are open and ongoing and there are many ways to help. To volunteer, please fill out this easy form: https://goo.gl/KigCZq
Please Visit your Westport PTA Council Sites featuring
All submissions for Cheetah Chat must be received by Friday at 5:00pm. If you have any questions or comments, please contact us at the email address below.
Karen Speller & Jill Dillon
KHS PTA Co-Presidents